Farley Spent Years Warning About China, Now He’s Pitching Trump A Deal
carscoops.com
Monday, February 16, 2026
Farley reportedly pitched managing Chinese entry to officials. The plan keeps U.S. firms firmly in control of joint ventures. Officials allegedly gave the proposal a cold reception overall. In a classic case of keeping friends close and competitors closer, Ford CEO Jim Farley has repo...

- Farley reportedly pitched managing Chinese entry to officials.
- The plan keeps U.S. firms firmly in control of joint ventures.
- Officials allegedly gave the proposal a cold reception overall.
In a classic case of keeping friends close and competitors closer, Ford CEO Jim Farley has reportedly been pitching a survival strategy to the Trump administration. At stake is how the United States should handle the arrival of Chinese automakers on American soil.
Farley’s proposal is straightforward: if Chinese companies want to build cars in the US, they should only be allowed to do so through joint ventures in which an American company holds the controlling stake, much like the arrangements Western automakers were required to accept when entering China’s market.
More: After Fixing Ford, Jim Farley Decided McDonald’s Deserved His Expertise Too
According to a Bloomberg report, Farley met with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, and EPA chief Lee Zeldin during last month’s Detroit Auto Show. Among the topics discussed was a potential framework for joint ventures between Chinese and American automakers, should the former seek entry into the US market.
Joint Ventures As A Gatekeeper
Unnamed sources familiar with the discussions told Bloomberg that Farley proposed that partners share profits and technology, while American companies retain a majority stake and final decision-making authority. It is, in many ways, a reflection of the protectionist structure Western automakers had to accept in China for decades.
Ford’s Chief Communications Officer, Mark Truby, indirectly confirmed that talks with the administration have taken place, underscoring the need to “protect our home market from a flood of subsidized vehicles built in China.”
Truby added that Ford “has been clear about the privacy and national security issues associated with Chinese vehicles in the US and we will continue to reiterate this in our discussions with policymakers.”
Is Washington Ready To Open The Door?
The timing of the talks is hardly accidental. During a recent speech at the Detroit Economic Club, President Trump signaled a pivot, saying Chinese automakers could sell vehicles in the US if they build factories and hire American workers.
More: Even The Rumor Of This EV Deal With Ford Had Congress Fuming
Despite that opening, Farley’s joint venture proposal reportedly drew a “cold reception” from officials wary of political backlash in Washington. Even so, some within the administration are said to view a potential investment deal as a possible outcome of the April meeting between Trump and Xi Jinping in Beijing.
Divided Voices In Detroit
Not everyone in Detroit supports Ford’s pragmatic approach. General Motors has reportedly told the administration it opposes Chinese entry into the US market, regardless of structure. GM officials fear it would erode market share and potentially have a “devastating effect” on the domestic supply chain.
Farley has repeatedly warned about Chinese competition, describing their low-cost, high-tech vehicles as an “existential threat” that could put Western automakers out of business. After tearing down several Chinese EVs and even using a Xiaomi SU7 as a daily driver for benchmarking, the Ford CEO openly praised the vehicles’ build quality and electric powertrain technology.
More: A Chinese Brand Just Knocked Ford Out Of The Global Top Six
To counter this, Ford is stepping deeper into the competition through targeted technical alliances. The company is leveraging licensed technology from CATL for its $3.5 billion BlueOval Battery Park in Michigan and is reportedly in talks with BYD to supply batteries for its expanding hybrid lineup.
At the same time, Ford is developing affordable models for the US market, including a $30k electric truck set to arrive in 2027.
Read the full article
Continue reading on carscoops.com
More from carscoops.com
1 hours ago
« Je m’étais endormie quand j’ai senti une main derrière mon épaule » : une octogénaire victime d’un vol dans sa chambre
1 hours ago
Attentat déjoué contre un concert de Taylor Swift à Vienne en 2024 : le principal suspect est poursuivi pour terrorisme
1 hours ago
Entscheidung über Social-Media-Verbot erst nach Sommer
1 hours ago