Labour to FG: Job losses loom over NAFDAC’s continued ban on sachet alcohol
vanguardngr.com
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
By Tunde Oso Workers in the food and beverage sector staged yet another protest at the office of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, yesterday, calling on the Federal Government to urgently intervene and protect their livelihoods. For the fifth time in...
By Tunde Oso
Workers in the food and beverage sector staged yet another protest at the office of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, yesterday, calling on the Federal Government to urgently intervene and protect their livelihoods.
For the fifth time in 2026, distillers operating under the umbrella of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Senior Staff Association, FOBTOB, stormed the NAFDAC office along the Oshodi-Apapa expressway, demanding an end to what they described as the crippling enforcement of the ban on sachet alcohol and PET bottles below 200ml.
The workers, both junior and senior staff, thronged the agency’s premises in large numbers, standing firm at the entrance of the facility as they voiced their frustration.
With emotions running high, they sang solidarity songs and waved placards boldly declaring: “Tinubu does not want jobs to be lost,” “Stop destroying local manufacturers,” “NAFDAC should release products put on hold,” and “5.5 million jobs at risk.”
The protest followed the continued sealing of factories accused of violating the ban, a move labour leaders say had paralysed operations and pushed thousands of families to the brink of economic hardship.
National President of FOBTOB, Jimoh Oyibo, warned that shutting down legitimate, regulated manufacturers could open the floodgates for illegal operators.
“Once you stop licensed manufacturers from producing approved products, you create space for unregulated and dangerous alternatives.
“This is not just about jobs, it is about public safety, government revenue, and the survival of lawful businesses,’’ Oyibo said.
Also addressing the protesters, Secretary of the National Union of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Employees, Comrade Jeffery Igein, argued that the enforcement contradicted the spirit of the national alcohol policy which, according to him, has already been signed.
Igein said: “The alcohol policy has been signed. Therefore, NAFDAC should have lifted restrictions on these factories. This action threatens manufacturers and workers. The economy is already harsh. Policies should support the President’s agenda of job protection and economic growth, not undermine it.”
Labour leaders insist they are not resisting regulation but demanding clarity, dialogue and policies that balanced public health concerns with economic realities.
They claimed that similar protests were ongoing in Abuja and Aba, signaling growing nationwide dissatisfaction within the industry.
While some protesters claimed the federal government had directed a pause in enforcement, NAFDAC Director-General, Mojisola Adeyeye, has maintained that no official communication to that effect had been received.
As uncertainty lingers, workers say they will not relent in their appeal to the federal government, warning that prolonged factory closures could worsen unemployment and deepen economic strain across the country.
The post Labour to FG: Job losses loom over NAFDAC’s continued ban on sachet alcohol appeared first on Vanguard News.
Read the full article
Continue reading on vanguardngr.com

