Attempted Murder: Court adjourns trial of 20 tanker drivers to April 28
vanguardngr.com
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
… I was beaten till I fainted, NUPENG’s deputy president tells court By Ikechukwu Nnochiri ABUJA– A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) sitting in Maitama on Tuesday slated April 28 for continuation of the case of 20 tanker drivers facing trial for attempted murder...
… I was beaten till I fainted, NUPENG’s deputy president tells court
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
ABUJA– A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) sitting in Maitama on Tuesday slated April 28 for continuation of the case of 20 tanker drivers facing trial for attempted murder.
The defendants are answering to a five-count charge the federal government preferred against them through the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.
FG alleged that the defendants had, sometime in 2023, violently attacked officials of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), including its President, Williams Akporeha, at the Union’s Secretariat in Abuja.
According to the charge marked: FCT/HC/CR/042/2023, other officials that were brutalised by the drivers included the Secretary-General, Olawale Afolabi, and the National Chairman of Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) branch of the Union, Mr. Augustine Egbon (now deceased).
Those on trial before the court included a one-time PTD National Chairman, Lucky Osesua; Dayyabu Garga; Humble Obinna; Akinolu Olabisi; Godwin Nwaka; Tiamiu Sikiru; Abdulmimin Shaibu and John Amajuoyi.
As well as: Zaira Aregbo; Patrick Erhivwor; Stephen Ogheneruemu; Gift Ukponku and Sunday Ezeocha.
All the defendants had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charge against them.
At the resumed proceedings on Tuesday, trial Justice Yusuf Halilu heard the evidence of the NUPENG’s Deputy President, Comrade Olujide Solomon Kilanko, who testified as the third prosecution witness (PW-3).
Kilanko narrated before the court, how he fainted on November 1, 2023, after he was thoroughly beaten by the defendants.
He alleged that it was the 1st defendant, Osesua (a former PTD National Chairman), that led over 20 tanker drivers that ambushed him, Afolabi, and the late Egbon, at the Union’s Secretariat.
According to him, the defendants had also mobilised thugs that invaded the premises with stones, sticks and broken concretes.
He said: “That morning, in company of my President, Comrade Akporeha, we were in a vehicle along with the General Secretary, Afolabi Olawale, and the late Comrade Augustine Egbon.
“We arrived at No 50 Majekodunmi Cresent Utako, Abuja. The driver used to press the horn two times and the gate would be opened.
“This time around, no response from the gate and Afolabi went down from the car. There was no response and the president too went down to join him.
“That was when I looked up and saw that Comrade Lucky Osesua and few others were also at the gate. I had to go down too to join them.
“I saw Comrade Osesua saying they have come. That made me to look down the direction he signaled to and saw the rest of the defendants now coming with stones, sticks and broken concretes.
“When I noticed what they were holding, I had to struggle through the pedestrian gate to enter. As I pushed back, Osesua and Sylvanus held Afolabi down at the security gate.”
He told the court that as he tried to make his way into the premises, the 6th and 9th defendants grabbed him.
“As I was arguing with them that I would pass, they started beating me. They hit my legs and lips. When the beating was getting too much, then I turned and wanted to run outside.
“It was one of them that hit the back of my head with either stone or wood and I fell on the floor and became unconscious. Even then, they kept kicking me.
“Few minutes later, I started hearing sound and that brought me up again. When I looked at the other side of the road, I saw Comrade Afolabi on the pedestrian floor. I managed to get up and move towards the side of the office fence,” the witness added.
He said his first effort to escape was frustrated by the defendants who blocked a vehicle that could have taken him away.
“By the roadside, I saw a car that parked and a driver standing by the car. Because I was wounded, I begged the driver to move me out of the place. He agreed.
“As he was making a U-turn to get out of the place, Olabisi Akinlolu (4th defendant) and Sikiru Tiamiyu ( 9th defendant) saw me and called the other defendants. They kept shouting my name.
“Immediately they stopped the driver and threatened him with sharp objects. Before I could open the door, Dele Nwaka (5th defendant) smashed the windscreen of the car.
“Before I could open the car door, they dragged me down and started beating me again. The beating stopped when someone among them cautioned that I could die.”
He said he eventually hid somewhere till he saw a tricycle that took him away from the vicinity.
“I could only remember that I woke up at a private hospital,” the witness added, even as the prosecution counsel, Mr. David Kaswe, tendered rhe hospital card and a police statement, which were admitted in evidence and marked as exhibits by the court.
Meanwhile, the prosecution urged the court to revoke the bail that was granted to the 1st defendant, Osesua, whom he accused of breaching the conditions.
He said the FG would file a formal application to that effect.
The post Attempted Murder: Court adjourns trial of 20 tanker drivers to April 28 appeared first on Vanguard News.
Read the full article
Continue reading on vanguardngr.com


