Chelsea eyeing record-breaking £43.5m star after failed Jeremy Jacquet transfer
metro.co.uk
Monday, February 16, 2026
Chelsea are in the market for a central defender ahead of the summer transfer window (Picture: Getty) Chelsea are weighing up a bid to sign Bayern Munich defender Kim Min-jae following their unsuccessful move for Jeremy Jacquet in January, according to reports in Germany. Kim has made 102 app...
Chelsea are weighing up a bid to sign Bayern Munich defender Kim Min-jae following their unsuccessful move for Jeremy Jacquet in January, according to reports in Germany.
Kim has made 102 appearances in all competitions for Bayern since joining the Bundesliga giants from Napoli for €50million (£43.5m) in 2023 – a fee that made him the most expensive Asian footballer of in history.
In that time, the 29-year-old has proven an invaluable member of the squad, helping Vincent Kompany’s side win both the league title and the German Super Cup last season.
However, a combination of injury problems and fierce competition for places means Kim has failed to establish himself as a regular starter at the heart of Kompany’s defence, with both Dayot Upamecano and Jonathan Tah ahead of the South Korean in the pecking order.
The former Napoli and Fenerbahce centre-back has made a total of just ten starts in the Bundesliga this term. He has also made four substitute appearances for the German champions in the Bundesliga.
According to Bild reporter and Bayern insider Christian Falk, Chelsea and Tottenham have been closely monitoring Kim’s situation and a transfer tug-of-war could break out between the two bitter rivals.
He claims both London clubs are ‘showing interest’ in Kim and have placed the experienced centre-half on their shortlist of possible targets ahead of the summer transfer window.
Get your football fix
Don't want to miss the week's biggest football stories? Metro's exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.
From the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.
Sign up here, it's an open goal.
Though well stocked at the heart of their defence, Chelsea are known to be in the market for a centre-back after losing out to Liverpool in the race for Rennes youngster Jeremy Jacquet last month.
The Blues reportedly agreed personal terms with Jacquet’s camp but were unwilling to cough up the required £60million to prise the highly rated 20-year-old away from Ligue 1.
Tottenham are also in need of reinforcements at the back but a lot will depend on the club’s managerial situation come the summer following Igor Tudor’s appointment as interim head coach.
The report adds that Bayern ‘could be open to selling’ Kim should they receive a ‘handsome’ fee from a potential suitor at the end of the campaign.
Though Kim remains ‘happy’ with his role at Bayern for the time being, a big-money switch to the Premier League to join one of Spurs or Chelsea ‘cannot be completely ruled out’ at this stage.
Kim’s current contract with Bayern runs through to June 2028.
Earlier this month, Kim was omitted from Bayern’s squad that went on to sweep aside Hoffenheim in a 5-1 victory at the Allianz Arena.
After his side’s resounding win, Kompany confirmed that the South Korea international’s absence had nothing to do with fitness issues.
‘There will be a rotation when everyone’s fit,’ the Bayern Munich head coach told reporters when asked to clarify the reason for Kim being missing.
‘It’s not that someone did something wrong. We need healthy competition.’
The Belgian stressed that Kim remained central to his plans while adding that the occasional absence here and there ultimately ‘meant nothing’.
‘The first thing I said to the team in January was that we have seven games in 20 days, so everyone will play and feel they’re a part of it,’ Kompany added.
‘Kim started the last game but because we did well in the Champions League, we’ll have fewer games in February, so we’ll have to make less changes. Then, in March, we’ll be in full gas again.
‘Now this month, it’s about being professional and winning our games. Next month everyone will feel included again.
‘Leaving someone out means nothing, it’s just a decision you have to make – there will be another one and then another. Today, it was Kim and next time you’ll ask me about someone else.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Read the full article
Continue reading on metro.co.uk
More from metro.co.uk
21 minutes ago
Tinubu to visit Southsouth, Southeast May – Presidency
21 minutes ago
Falana urges mandatory real-time transmission of polling unit results
21 minutes ago
Isn’t checking infiltration your job, Assam party asks Amit Shah

22 minutes ago